Sunday, August 5, 2007

Festas and Faith







Ola!

August 3rd was the first day of the Praia festas. There were a lot of people in town. Many booths and tent restaurants were set up. In the evening there was a street parade. The streets were decorated with lights and the buildings with quilts and flowers. It sort of reminded me of Christmas. The main road was decorated with a red carpet. It was neat! I tell people that I finally walked the “Red Carpet”. Tomorrow we will probably visit other areas of the island.

August 4th we started off the morning visiting the site of a young “saint” named Maria Viera, who was murdered in the area. People come to this site to pray. My uncle Armando told me that many miracles happen at this site. We took some candles to light during our visit. Later this afternoon we went to the town of Angra Do Heroismo. Angra is where they have the bullfight arena, which I hope to attend sometime during my stay. We went to the town garden (Jardim) which starts up on a high hill overlooking the town. The buildings are gorgeous. They are mostly white with red tile roofs.

It is somewhat difficult to obtain internet access so please click on both my favorite links and check out my sisters’ sites. They have different pictures and may write different entries.

Adeus,
Teresa

No comments: